General Sessions Recovery Court Eligibility Criteria
General Sessions Recovery Court follows best practice guidelines from NADCP and TCA codes for the Drug Court Treatment Act of 2003. Please review the eligibility criteria below. Screening includes a review of the instant offense, criminal history and may include a review of the candidate’s NCIC report. Candidates requesting to start Recovery Court under bond conditions rather than a plea of guilt must be approved by General Deb Smith.
Drug Court Treatment Act of 2003
§ 16-22-113 Each participant in a drug court treatment program shall:
(1) Not be a violent offender as defined in § 16-22-103; (2) Be substance abusing or chemically dependent, or both; and
(3) Be willing to participate in a treatment program.
Additionally, General Sessions Recovery Court does not accept:
- Candidates with a prior conviction of felon in possession of a weapon or felony drug sale
- “attempt” convictions are still eligible for GS Recovery Court
- Confirmed gang members
- Candidates with holds or pending charges in other jurisdictions
- Candidates convicted of a sex crime or on the Sex Offender Registry
- Candidates currently on parole or released from parole or prison within the preceding 10 years.